Don't mess with me, stupid doctors. I'm in charge, not you

This is going to be a long post. I'm telling you up front so you don't have to read it if you don't want to. This weekend I had an experience that brought out a side of me that doesn't usually come to the surface.

For those of you that have been pregnant before or are married to someone that has been pregnant before, you are familiar with the glucose tolerance test you have to take around 24-28 weeks. Everyone has to take it and it's not a big deal but then if you fail it you have to take the longer three hour test. The test is used to determine if you have gestational diabetes. If you don't know anything about the test, symptoms, risks, etc. do a quick read of this articleto learn about it. Briefly, here are some points to consider:

1. The test is a one hour timed test.
They take your blood sugar after you drink a yucky drink
To fail you have to have a 140

2. Other things they look for are how big you are measuring, if you have sugar in your urine and if you are gaining an excessive amount of weight.

3. If you fail the first test you have to take the three hour test. It's like the first only you have to fast for at least 10 hours before. Then they take your fasting level, you drink the rotten drink, and for every hour for three hours they take your levels again.

4. If you fail the second test, you have to change your diet, exercise, take your blood sugar levels everyday, and take insulin if necessary.

There. Read the article for more details and to figure out why it's a big deal if you have gestational diabetes. Ok, on to the story.

So I've never passed the first test. No, I take that back. I've never failed the first test but every doctor has a different level they want you to be at. I think most doctors (from my experience) want you to be at a 135 and I am usually 138. So I have to take the longer test every time. It is irritating because it's not like you just drink the stupid stuff and then get your blood drawn four times. By the time you're done you've fasted for at least 14 hours and if you have kids you have to make arrangements for them to be taken care of. In my case, Mike had to take off work.

I had already attempted to take the test and fasted for it and then got the flu making a wasted day for Mike as far as the test goes. Since he was already home, he took great care of all of us (the boys were sick too). I tried to go to the hospital the next day and take the test but they gave me the run around about insurance. Our insurance pays for everything so I wasn't sure what their issue was until I overheard them in the back saying, "You can give it to her. We are short-handed so I'm not giving it to her. You can if you want though." Whatever. So Mike took yet another day off and I fasted again and went to take the test.

I got there at 8:10, they drew my blood, had me give a urine sample and then told me that it would take 45 minutes to an hour to get the results for the first sample because they had to send it to the hospital (where I attempted to take the test in the first place). I waited for two hours and they still hadn't come and gotten me to even drink the stuff. So I went to the lab tech and asked what was going on when the guy from the hospital showed up. My stuff hadn't even gotten to the lab yet!!! I was furious. They assured me it would only take 15 minutes even though it takes 15 minutes just to get to the hospital. So I waited another 30 minutes and when nothing had happened....when I get angry I usually don't know how to deal with it so I usually just end up crying. I was trying not to cry and finally just decided to confront them. I called Mike first and told him three hours had passed and I still hadn't even started the test so unless he really wanted me to take it I was coming home. Then I went to the lab tech and told her how irritated I was that a three hour timed test was now going to be at least 6 hours once I finally got to drink the stuff and that I wasn't taking the test. She told me to go tell the nurse.

So I went and asked to see the nurse and only got to see her when the receptionist realized I was going to make a big scene in front of all the waiting room. They rushed me back into a room and the nurse came in with a different lab slip for a different lab and then begins to tell me how important the test was. So I said, "I'm not taking the test. I've tried twice already and each time something has prevented me from doing it. My husband has taken off two days of work and I've fasted twice this month for this test. You told me I didn't need to fast for the first test but the lab tech just told me you were wrong and that I should've fasted and therefore, my levels were high. I also didn't even fail the test in the first place. I am not measuring more than a week early according to the ultrasound, I've only gained 22 lbs, and and you've never found sugar in my urine. If you have found sugar or if I'm measuring bigger you haven't done your job in communicating that to me. So, I'm not taking the test." She then started saying that she was just doing her job by encouraging me to take the test. I said, "So now you've done your job and I'm going to do mine by doing what is best for me and my baby."

So here's my issue with the whole situation: Here they are being cautious about gestational diabetes, making me take a test that my level was elevated for but that I didn't fail in the first place. What I wanted to say was, "If you want to be cautious about something listen to me when I tell you I've had contractions off and on since 26 weeks. I've had two other kids and I know what Braxton Hicks are. I'm not confusing Braxton Hicks for contractions. Second, when the nurse at the hospital tells me I'm "short" don't say to me, 'We don't usually use that term so I'm not sure what she is talking about.' It means I was starting to efface at 28 weeks. I know that doesn't mean very much and that I could walk around for months with nothing happening. What it does me to me though is that I'm not crazy and that something is happening. Third, when I tell you my last baby came a month early and had lung problems, pay attention to me. If I ask about steroids or other measures to prevent the same thing from happening, don't tell me, 'Steroids won't stop him from coming early.' I understand that. I'm asking for something that will help boost his lung development in case he does come early. So, if you want to be cautious about something, don't brush me off. I'm not an idiot. I've done this before. I know my body and I've done my research. Just because you have some fancy degree doesn't mean you know everything. You haven't even had a baby yet."

Right. Like I'd really say that to her. While both my babies have already come early and it is easy to assume the next one will come early as well, there is a chance that this baby will come late or at least on time. I don't doubt that. There is also a slight chance that I do in fact have gestational diabetes and choosing not to take the test is a bad idea. If that happens and I birth a baby the size of a grown man and have to have a c-section, I will humbly listen to the doctor say, "I told you so." I will take full responsibility for anything bad that may happen.

But, chances are I WILL have this baby early and it will be the size of a pea just like the other two boys. Hopefully, he won't come early and he won't have any problems like Isaac had. In the meantime, here is to taking charge of your medical care.

All done. If you read this entire thing, I commend you and you and will reward you by letting you claim a free dinner at my house whenever you next are at my house. This means you will either have to buy a plane ticket to my house or the two Ali's and Bri will have a great dinner. Just use this code to claim your prize:3hrtst

Comments

I'm writing the code down right now. And it had better be really good dinner because that was a really long post. I hope you don't have to deal with any more silliness like that again.
Jess and Jason said…
Jason and I both will be coming for dinner. We will wait until after baby comes though.

Jason was wondering if all of this is happening at the military hospital...they seem to be good at doing things like that.

I would have made the same decision!

Good luck with everything.
Jess and Jen said…
Amen to the dinner thing. 3hrtst

Count me in. I read the whole thing. I wish you would have said what you wrote to the nurse! It would have been great. --Jess
Pitcher Family said…
I'm so sorry this happened to you! Sometimes the medical people seem to forget that they are dealing with real people and they just think about what they are supposed to do and not how it affects the actual patient. I hate that.
For my last two pregnancies I have not had to do the test. They do a blood test first and if I were to fail that then I would have to drink the drink.
I hope your baby is a good size and a comes at a good time. No more peas, no full grown men, no c-sections.
You're getting closer, I know you'll make it!
Rachel said…
I hate when you get the run around. I'm glad you stood up for yourself because I often shrink in those situations. I too wish you said what was on your mind to the nurse. I always tell Charlie, ". . .but I wanted to say. . ." and he always tells me I should have - but I don't. I too had higher blood sugar levels but luckily they just told me to watch my sugar intake (I don't really follow those orders too well either). I hope things continue to go well.
Marcy said…
How frustrating! I'm glad you were able to stand up for yourself rather than dissolve into tears like I would have.
Elder Richey said…
I say good for you. I just switched OB-GYN's and I'm so glad I did. It's definitely good when we can take charge of our health care. After all, we know our bodies and we know when something is or isn't wrong. I wish you all the best.
Cali said…
Good for you, Adrianne. The test is a stupid test anyway, and you can always just watch what you eat and any other signs that would indicate that you have gestational diabetes.

I had a mid-wife with Collin, and I loved it. She thought the test was unnecessary (don't think I spelled that right, sorry) unless you had protein in your blood and other signs of diabetes. So I was surprised when I "had" to do the test with Olivia and this pregnancy.

Anyway--I think that you are just fine. And, I agree, there are more important things that are going on that they should be paying attention to. Good for you for standing up for yourself.
Zach and Nikki said…
You may not have said everything you wanted to to that nurse, but you said more than I would have. Way to stick up for yourself and your baby. I wish I could be the same way.
Lisa said…
Stick to it, girl. You have to be assertive, I think you should have said that to her. What a dummy. I am a nurse and I say those nurses were really dumb and inconsiderate.
Frances said…
I feel your frustration. You did what was right. Going in a third time for a test would be crazy. I hope everything goes well and this baby stays in for 42 weeks!!
I owe lots of dinners...

Andy, how is Laura doing?

Jessie, it is not at a military hospital. They don't have a military hospital here and no OB/GYN's on base. I had heard she was a great doctor even though it is the first time she has practiced. I will not tell others to go to her.

Jess, when are you and Jen coming to visit us so I can make you dinner?

Mandy, that is so nice that they don't make you take the test in North Dakota; maybe I'll mover there.

Rachel, how are you feeling? Any signs of an early delivery?

Marcy, do you ever just wish that your husband would come and fight your fights for you? I does feel good when you stand up for yourself though.

Katie, I hope your new doctor will be better. I am finding that it really is important to take charge of your medical care.

Cali, I thought finding protein in your urine was a sign of preeclampsia. I didn't know you had a mid-wife. Did you like it? Would you do it again?

Nikki, Do you have a good OB/GYN? What's the weather like in Vegas?

Lisa, Do you have to get certified every year or work a couple of hours each year?

Frances, I could totally see you standing up for yourself. How are your girls?
Cali said…
Adrianne, your probably right about about the protein in blood. I'm not exactly functioning at 100% these days!

But, yes, I LOVED having a mid-wife. Actually, she was a certified nurse midwife, which is all that insurance would cover. The only difference is that the certified nurse midwife goes through med school and specializes in nurse midwifery. They are also
"backed" by a doctor, who attends their deliveries.

I would have had one with Olivia as well, except that insurance here wouldn't cover one. But now that I have had a C-Section, I'm not sure that I would. If I can pull of a successful VBAC than I would love to have one with the next baby. But, if this delivery doesn't go well than I'll just stick with a regular OBGYN.

But, I love the approach that midwives and certified nurse midwives have. They are much less likely to intervene where intervention isn't necessary (silly tests and such) and are much more supportive and present during LABOR (my nurse midwife was there for the entire labor! Which was a huge deal to me with the first baby). I loved it.

And, she really seemed to listen to me and to remember my concerns from visit to visit. She followed up really well. Probably more than you wanted to know. Sorry!
Papa Doc said…
I had heard the experience from you on the phone. This was something to remember.

All the comments here are really cool. Your blog is great.

I love your frog.

Dad Clark

Popular Posts