My most successful cheese yet


This is now the third or fourth time I have tried to make cheese. It definitely was not a success, even though it was my most successful so far. I think my frozen cultures lost a lot of their potency when the power was out for week (plus they are pretty old--they are supposed to be used within 6-9 months of purchase and mine are about 18 months old). In any case, after adding all of the different kinds of cultures I have and letting the milk ripen 2 times as long as it called for, I became too impatient to try anything else and proceeded with the recipe.


This feta turned out solid and crumbly (much better than my last feta which was more like cream cheese).

Comments

I have to say that I don't make cheese--that is all Mike.
Pitcher Family said…
What ever gave you the idea to make cheese? I think it's a great thing to learn, but it just never would have occured to me. That's one of those things I'd rather buy.
Jess and Jason said…
it looks like feta to me. does it taste right? throw it in a salad and call it good!
i knew Mike was cheesy!!

this is pretty awesome. i don't even know where to buy cheese cultures -- at a health food store?

i've made cottage cheese before, but this looks a bit trickier.

can you make those squeeky cheese curds?
Marcy said…
Very impressive! And the recipes from last post look great. All the new recipes I've tried lately aren't that exciting.
Carolina said…
I need to build up the courage to try cheese-making. But this post is inspiring. A few more of Mike's experiments, and I might be ready to follow in his footsteps.

Popular Posts