In response to Jane's comment on the last post

Yes, boys are gross. I'll give you that. In fact, just this past week or so Will has gone from being my cute little boy to my grown-up gross boy. Until now he has sat down on the potty but one day I heard him say from the bathroom, "I'm going potty like Daddy." Oh man. Sure enough, he was standing on a stool and peeing in the toilet. Last night Mike told me I would probably not want to see Will go in the toilet because I'd be horrified at his aim. Why couldn't he just stay a little boy and keep sitting? So I guess our next Family Home Evening will have to be titled "Going Potty" with Mike teaching the first part on how to aim and me teaching the next part on cleaning the toilet. I know he can learn how to be great pottier because obviously Mike has learned and he doesn't even use a stool and I've never seen pee on the toilet after he goes. And I need to publicly apologize to him already because he is going to be terribly embarrassed to find out that I'm discussing his pottying techniques with family and friends. Oh, and my dad will think I'm terrible too.

Comments

so funny!

ok, my brother (brad) went to romania on his mission, and one of the mission rules (i think this was the pres's wife's idea, but not sure) was that everyone had to sit to pee. he (the pres) said it would serve them well all their lives and their wives would thank them. (i'm paraphrasing, but i think that's basically it).

me, i'm blessed with the best aim-er known to man. now if i could just convince him that wiping is superior to shaking, i would be a happy woman!
Marcy said…
Guys, that's really gross.
Jess and Jason said…
We had this problem in the kids bathroom with mold growing on the back of the toilet seat. We couldn't figure out what was going on. I would clean it and a week later it would be back.

One day I walked in on Austin going to the bathroom. He was using the back of the toilet seat as a target! It was so disgusting. I yelled at him causing him to jump and pee all over. We had to have a lesson about cleanliness and not being gross.

Thankfully, since then we have been mold free. But now it is time to start thinking about potty training Ryan!
Marcy, just wait until your boy starts going potty.

Jessie, that is so gross about mold growing because of Austin's aim. I'm glad to hear he has learned.
Jess and Jen said…
No, I agree with Marcy. It's not that boys go potty, but the frankness with which you and Jane write about it (wipe instead of shake?!) that is gross. Jess
Hey, I didn't write anything about wiping instead of shaking. All I wrote about was the fact that Will apparently doesn't have a great aim and that he uses a potty stool. Teaching little boys to go potty is a fact of life and one that is gross.
Papa Doc said…
What funny comments! I have been chuckling through all these comments. Doesn't life teach us such funny things?!
Well, you will finally figure Will out but as soon as you do, he will change and do something else that will wipe you out. As soon as I figured out how to be consistent, that worked best.
Maybe you will have to take Will's hand and take him to his room to change or get his shoes on. Maybe you will have to take away the toy or TV that has captured his attention. One thing that works with some kids is that you give them a five minute warning that you need to leave and in five minutes you will turn the TV off or you will have him put the books away. After that five minute interval, do exactly as you said you would do. The best thing I did with one of my kids when he was having a rough summer was to give him options as you are doing with Will but then I stuck by them. If chores weren't done, he didn't get to go out to play. When they were done, he could go but usually the kids were gone by then. It took the entire summer, but he caught on and we had no trouble from that point on.
Now I'm just too tired to follow through like I should. But I think consistency and fairness are the two keys to getting a child to cooperate.
Good luck! Glad it's you and not me now.
Mom C.

Popular Posts