MMSM-10 days left to live


The topic for MMSM (brought to you by Shannon's blog carnival) is what I would do if I had 10 days left to live.

I thought about this all weekend and couldn't really think of very many fun things I'd do. I don't think I would try and change too much about my life. I wouldn't go out and spend lots of money or visit exotic places, although, my sister just got back from Hawaii for her 10 year anniversary and the pictures are awesome and make me really jealous. Perhaps if I had more than 10 days to live that would be a great option.

Mike and I have talked about what we would do if one of us were to die. If Mike were to die I would be taken care of. I wouldn't exactly be raking in the dough but the boys and I would be fine. If, on the other hand, I were to die, things wouldn't be so sweet for Mike. Being in the Air Force, he can't just quit his job and move near family. He could go to his commander and ask to be re-stationed and I am sure they would do what they could for him, but ultimately, he has to be where they tell him to be. Therefore, I would spend those 10 days helping him find someone to take care of our boys. I would make sure they had clean clothes and enough clothes that fit. I would make sure they had enough diapers and snacks. Pretty much I would just make sure they had all the things I'm not sure Mike would think of until it is too late.

The next thing I would do is actually very selfish. Thinking about my boys not having a mom makes me really sad. Mike can take care of himself but I really like taking care of him and would be sad to think he wouldn't have someone to take care of him if I were to die. With that said, I would encourage him to marry someone. HOWEVER (!), I would sit down with him and remind him that I am the first wife! It is really selfish but think about it with me for a second...Mike and I have been married almost four years and if I were to die and he gets remaried, he will be married to her for a lot longer. He and the boys would remember me and love me but she would be their mom for a whole lot longer and no matter how good these last four years have been they can't really compare to thirty or more good years.

Next I would fly to Utah and spend as much time with my family as possible. Then of course, I would eat anything and everything I wanted!

Comments

Frances said…
What an interesting thing to think about. I would probably spend my time much the same way. It's so sad to think of! Very stirring words Adrianne!!
Papa Doc said…
I've thought about the same things often, but it makes me sad. And it made me sad all over again when I read your comments. They are well thought out, certainly, but nonetheless, the thought makes one sad.
I know that wasn't your intention -- that's just the nature of what you were writing about!
I hope you are having a very happy day!!
Pitcher Family said…
I find it all very morbid and try not to think about to much! you did have good ideas, but don't you feel depressed now??? I do! Oh, and I hope you don't die in 10 days!!!
Well, I'll admit that it doesn't really "make me smile" but no Mandy, I am not too depressed about it. Probably because I don't expect to die in ten days. I think the idea was originally supposed to inspire funny thoughts, "If I were to die I would break all the laws I could. I would go sky-diving..." But, I wouldn't do those things. They aren't important to me. So, I can understand why it would be sad and depressing. Haven't you ever comtemplated this thought?
Jess and Jason said…
I have thought of it before. In fact anytime Jason is late and I don't know why I start to think about what I will do if Jason is dead. Like you said, we have good insurance on Jason and I will not have to go back to work full time or anything.
We also have enough life insurance on me to pay the house off and let Jason be home a lot more. I think that we would enlist the Grandma's to help with the kids a day each week. Thankfully we have family nearby to help.
I think that I would spend the ten days holding my kids. And crying...
Cali said…
Adrianne--I'm with you in that a lot of the silly tiings that the MMSM idea was supposed to inspire just wouldn't ever be done by me! So, of course I thought of my kids and Nate, and what would happen to them! I would hate to see Collin and Olivia go through losing either Nate or me--it's hard enough when a neighbor moves away! But thankfully I know that it would only be a temporary (if long) seperation.

Popular Posts