Did I shave my legs for this?

One of the first lessons to be learned as a mother is to never leave dangerous things out where children can reach them. Today I think I finally learned that lesson.

Today we are home from church because both boys have colds...again. Isaac woke up at 6:15 to eat and while I was feeding him Will woke up at 6:30. I made him cry in his bed until 7:15 when Mike left for church meetings. At some point, I'm sure Will is going to figure out that I never get him out of bed until 7:00. So, we all got up bright and early. From the minute Will woke up he has pretty much cried about something. Aside from the time out for yelling "no" to me and taking Isaac's toys away all morning, he has had a rather rough morning.

I got Isaac down for a tiny nap and turned on a movie for Will so I could take a shower. I closed the bathroom door and got in the shower. Next thing I know, Will is next to the tub with his pants and diaper off trying to get in. I told him he couldn't get in the shower with me but he could take a bath when I was done and to go watch his show until I was done. I might add that when he tried to get in the shower, I was shaving my legs.

He ran off and I assumed he was watching his movie, only he wasn't...He came running back to the tub crying, and being impatient like I tend to get when Will has cried all morning, I unsympathetically told him to go watch his show (without even turning to look at him). He kept crying so I turned around and saw blood on the shower curtain. I was really surprised and it took me a minute to figure out what it was. I looked down at Will and saw blood all over his shirt and his finger stuck in the air for me to see all the blood running down his finger. In his other hand was a razor. Yikes! This is the part where I interject a caution for other mothers who may be tempted to act like me in the future: Please listen to promptings from the spirit before you throw dangerous objects in your garbage. I bought new razors yesterday and went to throw the old one out (in my defense, which doesn't really help too much, I did have the cover on the razor). When I put it in the garbage I briefly had the thought that I shouldn't put the razor in the trash. I thought that if I just put it far enough down in the trash Will wouldn't see it. Don't ignore your promptings!

Anyway, back to the story....I got out of the shower with shampoo still in my hair and found Mike's robe. I then had to re-diaper Will's naked bum, while he held a hand towel over his bloody hand. Next came the task of convincing Will that band-aids are not stickers and that he needed to keep it on his finger. After finishing my shower I spent the next little while cleaning up all the blood. Serves me right.

Comments

Jess and Jason said…
That is an awful story, but it has happened to each of us.
Mandy called once and told me that Braden had cut himself with a razor and she couldn't get it to stop bleeding.

Popular Posts