Beach walking

Right now the beach is pretty gross.  These pictures were from weeks ago, after Hurricane Irma but before Jose and Maria.  Jose and Maria didn't reach us but they churned the water and the waves have been angry and harsh since then.  I've worried about rip tides every time we have gone to the beach and every trip we discuss how to get out of a rip tide.  Some days the waves are too rough for the kids to stay out long.  When I took these pictures we had quite a bit of seaweed on the beach but now it's every where along with all kinds of weird things being washed up (toothbrushes, plastic, cell phones, etc.).  The waves look dirty, seaweedy, and foamy.  

The water is still pretty warm.  It's not warm like bathtub water like it used to be but still warm enough to swim and since it's been in the 90's and high 80's lately, it's plenty warm to swim.  The kids still like to swim in the water with their friends even though the waves are rough and the water is dirty but I don't really like to bring Felicity to the beach right now since the sand is covered with seaweed and trash. 

Last week I sent the boys to scouts and then the girls and I headed to the beach to walk.  Piper loved searching for shells and getting her feet wet and Felicity only stayed content in the wrap for a few minutes before she wanted to get down and crawl around in the sand.  We spent a lovely hour walking, and talking, and shell searching and then right when I was about to head back to the van I noticed everyone around me looking north and pointing.  I didn't know what was happening and I was confused about why they were all pointing at us, except they weren't pointing at us, they were pointing at the rocket launch.  It was so cool!  I had no idea they were launching a rocket that evening and almost missed it.  Piper and I stood and watched in wonder.  It was awesome.  Not only did we see the rocket but there was a huge cloud in a heart shape and we found a few heart shaped rocks on the beach as well.  The sun started to set and the sky was a beautiful pink and then purple.  It really was such a lovely evening.  I didn't take my camera that night and it was nice to just be present with the girls and the moment.  I did however, take my camera a few weeks ago when we all went for a walk one Sunday evening.










looking West across the beach parking lot toward the base at sunset












Comments

Popular Posts