The first day of driving

We are in Missouri this morning. I was just writing how our day started yesterday but it was boring and you don't need to hear all the mundane details. Needless to say, the day started out fine but even our best plans to be gone at a reasonable time were thwarted.

When we were leaving the hotel I was out at the van with the boys while Mike went to check-out, I sat down and felt a very sad feeling overcome me. It ended up being 96 degrees in Oklahoma yesterday but at 10:30 it was beautiful outside. I just sat there feeling the wind blow on my face (the wind is always blowing here) and thinking about how surprised I was that I liked Oklahoma as much as I did. I never expected to leave here being sad. In fact, I distinctly remember two separate times driving down 10th street and thinking, "Oh my gosh. I have three more years left here. How am I ever going to make it?" But here we are.

By the time we pulled out of our driveway I was so exhausted and annoyed and hot that I didn't have time to dwell on the fact that my house was completely empty of things but still full of all our memories. I didn't have the energy to be sad or shed any tears. All I could think was, "Let's just get this over with."

Twenty minutes later Will informed me he had to go to the bathroom. We were already two hours later than we hoped to be leaving so what was a little bathroom break? Back on the road for only twenty minutes, a semi passed me and I felt a great gust of wind and Mike signaled me to pull over. The car top carrier had flown open, only staying on the car because of the weight of the boxes inside. So we spent the next hour trying to take the carrier apart without any tools. Eventually a highway patrol showed up and lent us a wrench. Then we loaded the already full van with boxes and stuffed the carrier into the van. We drove twenty more minutes to find a dumpster, threw the carrier away, and finally continued on our drive. The four hour drive ended up taking seven hours.

Really annoying, I tell ya. It's now 10 and Eli is napping and Mike is trying to coerce Diamond to go pee since the current situation has freaked him out and he hasn't peed in a day in a half. Mike wants me to mention that Diamond ruined his car. He freaked out when we left him in the car for ten minutes to check in to the hotel and ripped the upholstery on the door to shreds. We hope to leave when the baby wakes up.

Have I said that I hate moving?

*We got a great picture of Mike taking the hard shell apart to document our trip but can't download it right now so we'll update this post when we can.

Comments

blondeviolin said…
I hope the move goes smoothly for you guys! I'm sad that we didn't get to say goodbye better, but glad that you have your nifty blog to keep up with one another. :)
Jess and Jen said…
I hope today is a MUCH better day! -Jen
chelsey said…
Ahh, sorry guys! Sounds like a tough start. I hope today goes smoother. I say give the kids diamatap to make them sleep the whole trip if they get fussy. Good luck with Diamond peeing!! Not sure how to help there! At least tomorrow we can take him on a LONG walk and I'll have a home cooked meal waiting for you!
The Duke said…
I sure hope today goes better than yesterday. I hadn't even thought about Diamond and the problems he might have. We have moved cats before but it has never been very successful. They usually ran away within a few hours after arriving at the destination (or jumped out of a truck to get smashed on the freeway). :(
Hope the boys will not give you grief and I hope you have good weather for the entire trip.
Mom
Good luck on the rest of the trip- I too hate moving. I think we will always miss something about everywhere we live...I hope Diamond works out his stress- 3 kids and a dog don't sound fun to travel with.

Popular Posts