Today is, in my mind, the beginning of the Christmas season. I know that Christmas music has been playing in many stores and homes for months, trees were up a week or so ago, and lights are already on houses. But, for me, Christmas cannot be celebrated until after Thanksgiving. I do not say, "Bah hum bug" because I truly love Christmas. It is magical. I just believe that Thanksgiving is set in between two very commercialized holidays and I really think it is important not to forget to celebrate the holiday that is meant for no other purpose than to give thanks.

And so...I have a rant for my post tonight. Today there is a report about a man that was trampled on at a Walmart in New York. Since I heard of the accident I have felt sick. I have been surprised at how much it bothers me. Stampedes are not totally uncommon; there was a stampede not to long ago in India. But I have to say that I feel sick inside that the day after a holiday for giving thanks people are so selfish, impatient, and rude that they act like animals.

Wikipedia defines a stampede as "an act of mass impulse among herd animals or a crowd of people in which the herd (or crowd) collectively begins running with no clear direction or purpose. Stampedes are believed to originate from biological responses in the brains and endocrine systems of herd animals. The response is believed to have evolved to help animals escape predators."

So, in the rush to get the best possible price on an item, often a Christmas item, people act no better than animals. Recently, I had an interesting experience in Walmart. I got in the 10 items or less line and there was a man in front of me who was clearly annoyed. He turned towards me and said, "Can't people read? It says 10 items or less." I noticed that the man in front of him had more than 10 items. I also noticed that the man in front of me said it loud enough for the other man to hear. I'm not sure how long he was waiting before I got there but the first man didn't have a ton of things so it couldn't have been that long. When the guy in front of me went to pay for his energy drink his card was rejected. He was embarrassed and said, "Never mind, I can't get it." It was only a little over a dollar so I told the lady at the checkout that I'd pay for it. The guy was surprised and thankful and his demeanor changed immediately. He said "Thanks. It's been one of those days." It wasn't a big deal. I tell this story not to tell you all how celestial I am but to show that a little patience and a little charity goes a long way.

As it is the beginning of the Christmas season I guess I just want to call for some kindness, some love, and some consideration.

Comments

Marcy said…
I'm so glad you bought that guy's drink.
Lisa said…
Amen to that. I was equally apalled by the death of that Walmart Employee, so sad.
Jess and Jason said…
I am such a girl. I am tearing up at your story, and not about the poor man who died at Wal-mart, but about how such a simple self-less act on your part probably changed the grumpy man for the whole day and maybe even longer. Good for you! I hope that I can be a little more selfless this holiday season, and everyday.
Steff said…
I was really sad about the Walmart employee as well. It's funny because Matt and I were just talking about how people out shopping during the busy Christmas season are all grouchy and impatient. A lot of people are ready to rip anyone's head off that make one wrong move or say wrong thing. During Christmas (especially) it should be the total opposite right? It's those times that make me wonder if it might be better to ditch the extravagant gift giving and simplify...just enjoying the people around us and spending time with family and friends. Anyway, I think you are right that we really can change other people's attitudes with our small acts of kindness...even as small as a smile sometimes. Hopefully that man (who you bought the drink for) had a nicer, kinder attitude the rest of the day.

Popular Posts