How I almost got eaten by a dog

I almost just lost my life by a freakin' German Shepherd monster type dog! I took the boys on a walk this morning--our normal two mile walk. We go on this walk all the time and it is usually uneventful and pleasant. There is one huge dog on the walk but he is locked up behind the fence. I am convinced that one day the dog is going to get brave enough to jump the fence and then my children and I will be eaten in one gulp. This dog was not the problem today though.

We were walking along and this huge dog comes running towards us. He's barking and I swear he was going to bite us. He came up to my waist and was generally just a scary dog. I was like, "Dogs smell fear. You are not afraid." We kept walking and he went back to the edge of his yard growling at us like, "I dare you to come back."

Isaac had gotten scared by the dog and dropped his fuzzy blue dog toy. I momentarily thought to pick it up but the dog had his mean face right by me so I decided we would finish the walk and then get in the car and get the toy--surely the dog would be inside by then. So we finished our little walk (and I should add that I won't let the boys bring toys next time because by the time we got home they had dropped three different toys: a feather, a bunny, and the dog toy. The feather was totally lost and the bunny we found on the way back to the house). I got the boys in the car and drove to the house.

I looked around and couldn't see any dog so I left the car door open and slowly walked to the lawn (because the dog had taken the toy and put it in his yard). Thief! Turns out leaving the car door open was the smartest decision I've ever made in my life. I didn't see the dog so I started walking normal pace and almost got to the toy when I hear this growl and look up to see the dog getting up from it's hiding place in the shadows of the porch. The dog takes off across the lawn and I turned and ran as fast as I could to the car, the whole time looking back to see if it was going to get me. It was like a scene in a movie, I swear. Thankfully, I slammed the door to the car shut right as the dog got to me. It was all growling and Will was like, "That was scary momma." I was looking around to see if anyone saw me running like a maniac to the car.

Seriously, who leaves a monster dog on their front porch without chaining them up? I mean, I'm glad no one saw me make a fool of myself but what if the dog had gotten me? Don't you think someone would come check to see why their dog was barking like that? Anyway, I was laughing so hard I was crying and my hands were shaking so bad and my heart pounding like crazy. Too much excitement for me, I tell ya. I came home and called Mike to tell him of my great escape and he had no sympathy for me. He said, "Thanks for the laugh, honey." Jerk. I almost died and he thinks it's funny. Oh, and the stupid thing is, I didn't even get the toy!!!

Comments

Jess and Jason said…
I am glad that you weren't eaten! That is scary. Jason was attacked by a dog when he was about 9 and he had to get tons of stitches and still has nasty scars from it.
Papa Doc said…
The home owner could be turned in for having an unrestrained dog. I never think loose dogs are a joke. They terrify me! I'm glad you are safe!!
Jess and Jen said…
I'm so afraid of going on walks with my kids now! I lady in our ward was out walking last Saturday and got attacked by two dogs. She even had to go to the hospital and get stitches. These same dogs bit a another person a few weeks earlier...hopefully they won't let the dogs go back home. I'm glad you're okay. Isn't it frustrating that some people don't take care of their pets like they should. I don't like dogs, I don't have dogs and I shouldn't have to deal with someone else's dogs!

The last two walks we've gone on we have had cats follow us. My girls are super scared of cats...I don't know why. The things about these cats is that they don't just walk by us...they follow behind us until we get too far ahead then they come running really fast to catch up to us. That really freaks my girls out...they think they're going to be attacked. Then the cat lets us get ahead and does the same thing. So annoying.
I think there is a law in Midwest City banning pit-bulls because there have been so many people attacked by them. Anyway, dogs freak me out. Jess, the story of your girls and the cats is hilarious. I would love to see that!
Jess and Jen said…
Hey, those were anecdotes told by Jen! I happily read the comment, but I didn't write it.

But yes, I keep on calling my girls "scaredy cats" and they deny it. But they really are. Scaredy cats afraid of stupid, benign cats.

Jess
Frances said…
Wo, scary Adrianne! I'm so happy you're ok. This sounds silly, but maybe you should start carrying mace or a big stick or something. I take the girls on a bike ride every day and I avoid the yards with giant scary dogs. Stay safe!
Frances, Mike said I needed to carry a stick too. I thought about kicking the dog but he was so scary I think if I kicked him or hit him with the stick he would just attack me more. He was the scariest thing to me. I am afraid to ever go on that walk with the boys now without Mike.
Cali said…
What an awful experience! I hate mean dogs--especially if they are threatening my kids! I'm glad that you were safe. Seriously, you should confront the owners of that dog and ask them to keep dog restrained in some way--you should be able to enjoy a walk with your boys without the fear of losing a limb or something more to a dog!
Zach and Nikki said…
Adrianne, perhaps you didn't intend that story to be funny- but it was hilarious. It reminded me of the movie The Sandlot I think I was even reading it while imagining you telling it- you were always a good story teller. That's crazy that someone would leave their dog out like that. I go running in our neighborhood and tons of people in this neighborhood have a dog- and they often bark at me, but fortunately, all of them are locked up.
Laura's dog story: Laura went to her friends house where a dog lived that had known Laura all his life. Like normal, he came up to her to play with her. He started pulling on her jacket a little harder than normal, and she told him to stop. When he didn't and started to bite her arm harder, she got scared and pushed him away. That's when he growled at her and bit her in the butt. He wouldn't let go and she screamed untill her friends brother came out and chocked the dog. Laura felt the blood running down her legs and she screamed even worse. Her friends took her to her aunt's (who is a nurse) clinic. At first, her aunt couldn't start working on her because she was crying and screaming about how they should have kept the dog tied up all along. Her friend and sister ate sandwiches while the aunt sewed her up. They all commented on how nice it was that she didn't have any celulite.
Papa Doc said…
Gee, the comments are just about a good as the post.

I had a very bad experience with a dog as a kid, and am writing it in my personal history, so you can read it later.

Glad you are okay now, and Mike, it is not funny. At least then it was not.

Dad Clark
Lisa said…
Adrianne, this is Lisa Hansen. I don't know if you remember me or not, but we were in the BYU 93rd ward together. I found your blog through Steff's, and I enjoy reading what you're up to every now and then! Anyway, this post cracked me up, I'm still laughing about it, so I had to comment. I HATE loose dogs. I got bit once when I was little by the neighbor's dog that wasn't tied up, and ever since then, I freak out any time I see loose dogs. So, I hear you on this one! :) If you want an invitation to my blog, email me at Lisas1128@hotmail.com.

Popular Posts